Part of our role is to provide advice and information to people that live or work in Buckinghamshire, or who use services in the county.

Primarily, we can give you information to help you access local health and care services. We call this signposting. For example, how to choose a care home or how to get physiotherapy through the NHS. We can also advise you on how to make a complaint about different services or individuals. If you need extra support to make a complaint, we can help you find that too.

The use of abusive and offensive language towards Healthwatch Bucks staff or volunteers will not be tolerated. Call handlers will end any telephone call if they feel the caller is being aggressive, intimidating, abusive or offensive, this is in line our Abusive and Persistent Caller policy.