Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt

999 – when to call

999 is for life-threatening emergencies – when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

  • loss of consciousness
  • an acute confused state
  • fits that are not stopping
  • persistent, severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions.

Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma. Major trauma is often the result of a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

Updated: 11th June 2018

Buckinghamshire Clinical Commissioning Group Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, or PALS, is an English National Health Service body created to provide advice and support to NHS patients and their relatives and carers.

You can raise a concern with the CCG about any of the services they commission, but it’s usually best to first contact the organisation that is providing the service.

In Bucks, the CCG PALS service is provided by the South, Central and West Commissioning Support Unit

0800 328 5640 or 0300 123 6258

PALS, NHS South Central & West Commissioning Support Unit, Albert House,  Queen Victoria Road, High Wycombe  HP11 1AG

Updated: 3rd June 2019

Buckinghamshire County Council Care Services Directory 2017/2018

If you have any questions on Care Services and what is available in Buckinghamshire.

Read the directory

Updated: 29th March 2018

Bucks Healthcare Trust Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

PALS is a confidential service. They won’t share with whoever you are complaining about. They try to sort out the problem or advise you what to do. They also have a lot of information about the NHS and other services.

01296 316042

PALS, Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Mandeville Road, Aylesbury HP21 8AL

the PALS office is above the restaurant at the main entrance to Stoke Mandeville Hospital


Updated: 3rd April 2019

Bucks Sexual Health and Wellbeing

Easy access to free and confidential sexual health services for all.

Find a clinic or service near you

0300 303 2880

Updated: 4th May 2018

Bucks Vision

Bucks Vision is a local charity helping people with sight loss across Buckinghamshire.

They offer a wide range of services delivered by a small staff team and volunteers. Services include:

  • Practical Courses
  • Social & Sporting Activities
  • Support at Home
  • Eye Clinic Patient Support
  • Equipment Information

01296 487556


Updated: 15th April 2019

Get support at home on return from hospital

You can get support and care from the British Red Cross to help you live independently at home or when you return after a stay in hospital. If you’re returning from hospital, they can make sure you have everything you need for your first 24 to 72 hours back at home. They may then provide up to 12 weeks of support depending on the level of help you need.

01235 552 665


Updated: 10th July 2018

Health Help Now

The NHS and our local CCGs have worked together to make this handy website which can analyse your symptoms and recommend the right service for you in Buckinghamshire and the surrounding areas.

Updated: 6th February 2018

Healthwatch Bucks Jargon Buster

We some times use acronyms in our news stories and reports so we have put together this jargon buster. We do this because some names for NHS services and partner organisations are long and difficult to follow if used repeatedly. The glossary contains many of the most common acronyms we use and is updated constantly. We’ll still try to avoid using unexplained acronyms wherever possible!

Our Glossary

Updated: 12th February 2018

Integrated Care Systems

An Integrated Care System is where health and care organisations voluntarily come together to provide integrated services for a defined population.

Integrated Care Systems are those in which commissioners and NHS providers, working closely with GP networks, local authorities and other partners, agree to take shared responsibility (in ways that are consistent with their individual legal obligations) for how they operate their collective resources for the benefit of local populations.

Updated: 12th April 2018

Let’s Talk Health Bucks

Visit this website to find out and feed into the latest consultations and surveys run by Buckinghamshire Clinical Commissioning Group about healthcare in Buckinghamshire.

Updated: 12th June 2018

Live Well Stay Well Service

Live Well Stay Well is a FREE health improvement service available to anyone over the age of 18.  We are experts in working with members of the public and supporting them to make changes to their lifestyles that lead to a healthier life. If you are interested in, or have been advised to eat a bit more healthily, be a bit more physically active, reduce the amount of alcohol you drink, lose some weight or stop smoking, we’re here to help you make those changes and stick to them.  If you would like support with the emotional challenges of managing a long term health condition, our Live Well Practitioners can offer a range of different types of support to help you cope and prevent your long term health condition stopping you from doing the things you want to in life.

Updated: 12th June 2018

Safeguarding Adults

Adults with care and support needs are amongst the most vulnerable members of society. Protecting them from becoming victims of abuse is everyone’s responsibility.

If you have concerns about an adult call the Safeguarding Adults Team:

During office hours 0800 137 915

Out of office hours 0800 999 7677

For more information visit the Bucks Safeguarding Adults Board website


Updated: 12th April 2018

Who does what in the NHS

The NHS in England is made up of, and supported by, many different local and national organisations. This chart is a handy guide to who does what and how NHS services are funded, delivered and regulated.


A guide to the NHS in England

Updated: 14th June 2018

Subscribe to the Healthwatch Bucks email newsletter