Our overall rating:
Healthwatch Bucks has visited, rated and reviewed Rock House Residential Care Home
Visited 28th April 2018
Dignity in Care Ratings
How people are treated:
Just like being at home:
Quality of life:
We recommend that Rock House Residential Home:
- in addition to the intention to show the daily menu on a whiteboard in each dining room, put photographs of the menu option on each table showing the choices. This will give residents a chance to think about what they want and provide something to chat about as there was quite a long wait for some of them as moving everyone into the dining room can take a while.
- ensures there are soft alternative options available to residents who might not be able to eat either menu option for whatever reason
- has water available at mealtimes in both dining rooms.
- displays a timetable of activities in prominent positions around the building. This will give people an idea of what there is to look forward to and create a topic of conversation as residents and staff move around the building.
- considers introducing more physical activities for those more able residents.
- continues the work they have started with their memory boxes outside bedrooms by decorating areas of building with reminiscence items.
- puts photos on bedroom doors to help those with dementia find their rooms easily if there is no memory box for reference
- considers utilising part of one of the dining rooms as another area for seating as the main lounge is very busy.
- looks to involve more able residents who may wish to help with certain simple tasks such as laying tables and arranging flowers.
- serves, where appropriate, hot drinks in china instead of plastic mugs.
- places healthy snacks, such as fruit, where residents could help themselves.
Response from the provider
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and the team for our visit, it has given us new ideas and ways to enhance the home for our residents. We have already put an activity board up in the lounge, started taking photos of meals, and now ensure water and china cups are always available for those who want them.
Rate and review this service
Your name and email address and other identifying information will not be published and will be stored in accordance with our data protection policy. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.