After following the provider’s complaints process, you might also want to complain about a specific person.

Each individual healthcare professional that looks after you must provide a good standard of care. This is duty under the law. Each healthcare professional is regulated.

If you need to raise a concern about a doctor you can do this with the General Medical council.

The Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) is the independent regulator for nurses and midwives in the UK, and nursing associates in England.

If you have concerns about someone registered with the NMC and believe they are not fit to practise you can contact them.

020 7637 7181

The NMC Public Support Service also offers support to any patient, service user, family member, or a member of the public who has raised concerns about a nurse, midwife or nursing associate on their register, that they have decided to investigate.

The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) is there to protect, promote and maintain the health, safety and wellbeing of members of the public by upholding standards and public trust in pharmacy.

The GPhC can give guidance on the following:

  • What to expect from your pharmacy
  • Buying medicines safely online
  • Raising concerns or a complaint about a pharmacy professional

020 3713 8000

The General Dental Council regulates dental professionals in the UK, maintaining standards for the benefit of patients

020 7167 6000

37 Wimpole Street, London, W1G 8DQ

The General Optical Council is the regulator for the optical professions in the UK. Their purpose is to protect the public by promoting high standards of education, performance and conduct amongst opticians.

They currently register around 30,000 optometrists, dispensing opticians, student opticians and optical businesses.

020 7580 3898

10 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7NG

The Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) regulates health, social work and psychological professions. To do this they:

  • set standards for professionals’ education and training and practice;
  • keep a register of professionals, known as ‘registrants’, who meet our standards; and
  • take action if professionals on our Register do not meet our standards.

Here are some of the professions regulated by the HCPC:

  • Audiologists
  • Chiropodists/podiatrists
  • Dietitians
  • Occupational therapists
  • Orthoptists
  • Paramedics
  • Physiotherapists
  • Practitioner psychologists
  • Prosthetists/orthotists
  • Radiographers
  • Social workers
  • Speech and language therapists

If you have concerns about the fitness to practise of a registrant use the following contacts.

0800 328 4218

Subscribe to the Healthwatch Bucks email newsletter