Start at stage 1. Move to the next stage if your problem isn’t sorted or you’re unhappy with the response.

Stage 1 - talk to a member of staff

If you feel comfortable doing so, it’s always best to mention your concern to the member of staff you are dealing with or their manager. They may be able to sort things out for you.

There are several options:

  • your optician may have a complaints procedure
  • the Optical Consumer Complaints Service is an independent and free mediation service funded by the General Optical Council
  • if your glasses are not as described or are faulty, you have rights under the Consumer Rights Act.
  • if you have eye-care paid for by the NHS, see the section about complaining to the CCG above.

The Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire West Integrated Care Board – BOB ICB – handles concerns and complaints about primary care services it commissions and pays for.

These are:

  • GP surgeries
  • Dentists
  • Opticians
  • Pharmacy services.

NHS Frimley ICB employs and hosts the complaints teams working on behalf of six ICBs in the South East region, including BOB ICB.

A complaint about a BOB ICB service can be made by:

0300 561 0290

South East Complaints Hub, NHS Frimley ICB, Aldershot Centre for Health, Hospital Hill, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 1AY

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and other public organisations.

0345 015 403

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP

The General Optical Council is the regulator for the optical professions in the UK. Their purpose is to protect the public by promoting high standards of education, performance and conduct amongst opticians.

They currently register around 30,000 optometrists, dispensing opticians, student opticians and optical businesses.

020 7580 3898

10 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7NG

Subscribe to the Healthwatch Bucks email newsletter