Like most of the country, we had to react quickly to the Covid-19 Lockdown. Most of our work was done face to face with women and children. Overnight we had to adapt our working practices so we could still remain ‘open for businesses’ for those who were in abusive relationships.
Our Advice Line has remained open throughout and has been incredibly busy, our outreach staff have been wonderful. They have provided the same level of support as normal and have continued to work proactively with clients ensuring that they remain safe within their home or community.
The refuge staff have also continued to work throughout the lockdown, providing support to those women and children who were in the refuge. Their dedication has made sure that those who need their support get it and the safe, supportive nature of refuge remains.
This has meant re-organising the refuge space to provide places where new families can stay for a fourteen-day period to ensure they had no symptoms relating to Covid-19 before moving into the main building. The women who were in the refuge, prior to lockdown, supported staff with achieving this with some disruption to themselves. They felt it was important that safe spaces were provided to other families. So, thank you to them.
There are some other organisations who we would like to say thank you to, for their continuing support and for thinking of us during this time:
- Paradigm Housing – For providing us with updated mobile phones allowing outreach staff to have better engagement with their clients
- Police and Crime Commissioner – For providing funding which has allowed us to purchase Teams and Live Chat, therefore, expanding the ways our clients can engage with us
- The Buckinghamshire Freemasons – Who have delivered prepared meals for our women and children
- KidsOut – For providing the families in the refuge free subscriptions to the Disney Channel as well as food shopping vouchers and new toys
- The Housing Department at Buckinghamshire Council – who have worked alongside us to source emergency accommodation
- To those in the community, who despite the disruption to their own lives, took the time to think of us and were so generous with their donations
- To everyone who has made donations via our Amazon Wish List.
You have all contributed to our core principle of keeping women and children safe and making their lives a little bit happier.
Published on 21 Jul, 2020