I fell in the garden this year and knew immediately that I may have fractured my ankle or leg bone.  I did not want to call for an ambulance as I thought some poor person may need one more than I did.  I didn’t feel my injury was life threatening. I wasn’t bleeding, I just couldn’t stand up or bend my right leg.

My husband took me to Stoke Mandeville A and E department (45 mins away) and I was seen very quickly on the bank holiday weekend by a nurse and then a senior Dr. I had an x-ray which confirmed that I had a broken fibula.

My leg was put in a plaster cast and I was offered pain relief, given crutches and sent home. I was told that I would receive a follow up letter so I could attend a fracture clinic appointment within 14 days. I got the letter, went to clinic and my leg was put in a boot. I then had several follow up appointments.

I found this whole experience very positive. I could not believe how quickly I was seen on a bank holiday weekend at around 6pm on a Friday evening. The Dr and nurse in A and E were very good humoured and very kind.  My consultant had a great sense of humour also and I was very pleased at the way things were handled in a caring and efficient way.  I am very grateful to Stoke Mandeville Hospital and the great team of people that work there under very pressured circumstances.

Thank you so much for all your care!

Can you relate to Toni’s experience? Let us know in the comments.

* The picture is a stock photo.

Published on 18 Sep, 2019

This post's tags

3 comments on "Toni thanks A&E team at Stoke Mandeville"

  • Commenter said on 15th September 2019

    A very lucky lady indeed. When I broke my ankle and was told to come back for a followup appointment after treatment, they claimed to have no trace of me on their system and I was forced to hobble through the whole rigmarole of waiting in A and E again from scratch!!

    • Commenter said on 8th February 2020

      I had exactly the same problem at SM hospital. Broke legs and ankle in accident, had plaster and crutches. When I returned for follow up appointment, they had no trace of me and I had to go back to the beginning and start the whole rigmarole again.
      Although the clinical attention is excellent, the admin side is chaotic and inefficient.

  • Commenter said on 20th September 2019

    My experience was very similar. No complaints and unlike your correspondent I had to have two nights in hospital as my wrist required surgery

Leave a Reply

Your contact details

If you would like us to contact you about your comment, please provide your details below. You can also contact us directly.


Please review our data protection policy. By completing this form, you agree that you have read and understood the privacy information provided, and confirm you are over 18.

Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to the Healthwatch Bucks email newsletter